Portland Protesters Topple Statues of Lincoln, Roosevelt in 'Day of Rage'Breaking News
tags: memorials, statues, Native American history, Protest
Droves of protesters in Portland, Ore., took down the statues of Presidents Theodore Roosevelt and Abraham Lincoln on Sunday in demonstrations that had reportedly been billed online as “Indigenous Peoples Day of Rage” by organizers.
According to The Oregonian, a group of nearly 200 protesters marched through parts of the town on Sunday night — some carrying weapons, shields and red paint — and toppled both statues before breaking multiple windows at the Oregon Historical Society.
The first statue to come down was that of Roosevelt, who has been known to have expressed racist attitudes toward Native Americans, and then Lincoln’s statue. The paper reported that protesters also painted “Dakota 38” on the base of the latter, referring to the number of Dakota men that were hanged after the Dakota-U.S. War under Lincoln.
Both statues had reportedly been gifted to the city during the 1920s.
A banner that read “Stop honoring racist colonizer murderers” was also reportedly rolled out at the Oregon Historical Society during the demonstration, which at one point was declared a riot by local police, who began to intervene after the Roosevelt statue came down.
Kerry Tymchuk, executive director of the Oregon Historical Society, told local media that “no damage to any of the exhibits” was done, however.
comments powered by Disqus
- These Portraits Revolutionized the Way Queer Women Were Seen in the 1970s
- “Decades in the Making”: How Mainstream Conservatives & Right-Wing Money Fueled the Capitol Attack
- What the FBI Had on Grandpa
- Franco: Melilla Enclave Removes Last Statue of Fascist Dictator on Spanish Soil
- Lawrence Ferlinghetti Obituary
- For Many, an Afro isn’t Just a Hairstyle
- With Free Medical Clinics and Patient Advocacy, the Black Panthers Created a Legacy in Community Health That Still Exists Amid COVID-19
- With a Touch of Wisdom: Human Rights, Memory, and Forgetting
- New Exhibit Reckons With Glendale's Racist Past as ‘Sundown Town'
- The Broken System: What Comes After Meritocracy?